Experiment B

January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September

Experiment B

Experiment B was set in a faux-gothic Victorian-style stone built mansion which was set in a wooded valley. There was little open space around the building, just an expanse of lawn and shrubbery to the front and back; a walled herb garden to the left hand side of the house as viewed from the front and, rather randomly, a croquet lawn to the right. The woods surrounding the property were dark and forbidding and, if the howls at night were to be believed, populated with wolves and who knew what else. They were also almost impossible to enter - the undergrowth covered with thick and pricky briars.

The house itself was large, containing thirty bedrooms, not all of which were occupied by participants. Each bedroom had an en-suite bathroom and was spacious and furnished in a lavish, old-fashioned style. Dark, rich tones was a general theme for decoration throughout the house, though each room was decorated differently and it looks to be years since the place was last redecorated. Though rich and luxurious, the fabrics were generally moth eaten, the velvets worn. Rips and frays could be found in most of the soft furnishings and there's evidence of woodworm in a lot of the exposed woodwork. The general air of dilapidation and neglect seems to be a running theme. The pipework creaked and groaned, the electrics were a law unto themselves - blackouts were fairly common, and flickering of the lights happened on a daily basis. Added into this, the floorboards also creaked and none of the windows seemed to fit properly in their casements and would rattle in the wind and cause an almost constant draft. When the participants first arrived, the place was covered in dust and cobwebs and, no matter how anyone tried to keep the place clean, the dirt dust and spiders seemed to come back much faster than they should have done.

For communal areas, there was a large, well-equipped kitchen with a spacious larder and a cold room; a communal dining room with one large table; a living room with several comfortable couches and easy chairs surrounding a large (ie: walkin-sized large) fire place; an entertainments room with a large-screen TV, pool table and various board games etc; and a small but well-stocked library.

When the experiment began, twenty-four people entered the house. Unbeknowst to the participants they had all been specifically selected for this experiment because they had one thing in common - not one of the selected participants had any special training in survival. None of them had even gone on a camping trip in their lifetime. The participants did, however, know right from the word go that they would not be allowed to quit the experiment - they were tied in for the year and they all specifically agreed to stay.

The reasons behind these two facts became clear (if not to the participants) early on - the house was a deathtrap. It started off with just general weirdness - apart from the impossibility to keep the place clean, the house would change round from time to time. Some of the rooms would be locked, some unlocked on different days - both the occupied and unoccupied rooms, though a participant would never get locked in their room for any longer than 24 hours at a time and access to the kitchen was never blocked for more than 24 hours at a time.

Then the injuries started to build - little things. Nails in the stairs, lightswitches that gave shocks. Intermittently at first and then it was all the time. But not always the same things - there was no pattern to what would be safe and what wouldn't be. And there were the traps - the bear trap in the basement, the abandoned well in the herb garden. Everything kept building until people started to die. The bodies were left where they were, leaving the participants to bury their own. They were buried as far back on the lot as they could manage without entering the woods.

The survivors are fairly sure that the first death was the result of the house, or, rather, the scientists. The rest? Nobody's sure. Just as people really aren't that sure when everyone realised that one of the participants was killing people. What they have figured out, in retrospect, is that the guy snapped under the pressure, becoming delusional and fanatical - the house was killing them all, nobody was going to get out alive, so he should just put people out of their misery. The scientists did nothing to stop him.

Nobody knew who to trust. Nobody knew what was waiting round the corner. The middle months were the hardest as the accusations flew and fingers were pointed, but towards the end, a strong, almost inseparable bond was formed between the survivors. Between themselves, they were able to identify who the murderer was and they took him out the only way they knew how - they killed him.

Note: Because of the fact that the survivors of this experiment formed a close-knit group we have taken the decision not to allow people to apply for an Experiment B participant as a first character. This is to ensure that players are pre-established in the game and can work with other players they already know and create compatible characters.

Experiment Overview


The experiment was quiet for the first couple of days and the most annoying thing was the occasional black out and the odd noises from around the house. That and the fact that none of the windows fitted properly meant that the house was always freezing, given that there was a good few feet of snow outside. The warmest place in the house was the living room with its real fire.

The first little things started occurring intermittently about a week in - random sockets and switches around the house would give shocks when used (not always the same switches and sockets and the shocks were only ever enough to hurt, not seriously injure or kill) few twisted ankles, sprained wrists. Lots of cuts and bruises. The knives in the knife drawer in the kitchen always seem to be put back in the most potentially harmful positions possible. At first it seemed like a run of bad luck, but by the end of the month, people were starting to get nervous. And careful.

Two people went missing during the month of January. First Shane Hawkins, who simply wasn't in his bed one morning - his room was entirely empty of him or any of his belongings - and then, toward the end of the month, despite the terrible weather, Benjamin "Bennybob" Roberts goes for a walk, claiming cabin fever for a day or so beforehand, and he never returns. His armless corpse is found a few weeks later(mid-February).


As February began, Bernie Walters broke a leg falling down the stairs as a banister collapsed. With no proper medical supplies on hand and none of the participants having proper medical training or even advanced first aid, they did what they could to splint the break, but that was nowhere near as good as it could be. The other participants agreed to take it in turns caring for Bernie, though this rota was often fouled by the fact that each person (including Bernie) got trapped in their room at least once during this period for 24 hours. Everyone realised that each day some of the rooms were locked and others were unlocked and nobody knew which will be chosen - this continued for the rest of the experiment.

Meanwhile, the rest of the participants continued to have small, minor 'accidents' - cuts and bruises were now a daily occurrence and more than one person had minor breaks - generally a finger, or toe. There was a run of minor concussions as well. Everyone was always injured at least in some minor form. With that and Bernie's break, it became a big thing that there was not a trained medic in the house and they had no medication either.


The first death in the house came on 3rd March as Borsala Angyal walked into her bathroom first thing in the morning, reached to flip the light on and was fatally electrocuted. Everyone had been used to small shocks from switches by now, but this was something else - suddenly the annoyances of daily life in the house had turned fatal.

And to make things worse - Bernie's leg? Wasn't healing as his wound became infected and he began to really suffer. Everyone was trying their best for him and he was being treated as best they could manage under the circumstances, but his pain was constant and there were tears and screams and moans from the patient. More than one person heard him beg and plead. Someone even said they knew he'd begged for someone just to put him out of his misery.

On 20th March, Derek Goode stepped on a bear trap hidden in the basement. He was trapped down there, screaming, for the best part of the day. Eventually he was found by two other participants, but the trap proved very hard to open and there was talk of whether they would have to resort to cutting off the leg. Eventually they got him out of the trap, but several days later he developed gangrene in his leg. One of the participants agreed to amputate his leg, though there was no aesthetic in the house and the only implements they had to do this were kitchen knives and a wood saw. They attempted sterilisation as best they could, but unfortunately Derek contracted blood poisoning and died very painfully after a few long days of suffering. This greatly affected everyone in the house, but no-one so much as Henry Deighton, who quietly lost the plot.


On April 1st, Seung Yoo was alone in the library, then the book cases all tumbled down on top of him, causing several broken bones, unconsciousness, and positional asphyxia. Happy April Fool's Day...

On the very same day, Henry Deighton decided that enough is enough and that Bernie had suffered enough. Rather than allow him to slowly die the way Derek did, Henry smothered him with a pillow, positioning the body to look like the man died in his sleep. Nobody realised that Bernie was murdered.

As the month progressed, the snow finally disappeared and the participants could go outside. The first really fine, snow free day was 15th April and wat is celebrated with Ingrid Carlson falling down the well. It took the other participants two days to get her out of there. It became apparent at that time just how badly equipped they were to deal with an emergency. The house and grounds had no rope, not even any flashlights and it really seemed that it was meant to be impossible to get anyone out of the well should they fall in. However, it was finally managed and the participants congratulated themselves on their victory. All except Ingrid. Traumatised by her time in solitude, certain she was going to be left to finally starve to death, her panic which started during her captivity (she cried and screamed herself into exhaustion whenever possible during those two days) didn't let off once she was rescued. She never recovered - either mentally or physically and attempted suicide a week after the initial accident by hanging herself. Another participant finds her, however, and she does not complete the attempt. The next day, 13rd April, she is found in her bed, her throat slit - Henry couldn't stand that the woman was denied what she wanted as his grip on reality continued to slip.

This was the first sign of a murderer loose in the house, though some people wanted to believe she slit her own throat. That caused a real rift in the house - between those who believed and those who didn't. Naturally, some tried to sit on the fence, but when there's talk of a murderer amongst you, well, that tends to bring out real opinions...


Paranoia was well and truly set in by the beginning of May and as a result everyone was being stunningly careful. Lots of people were by this time refusing to go anywhere alone, pairing off into two and small groups. The scientists seemed to take offence to this and change the way things work, setting up the house to separate people as much as possible. Participants started to find that whichever room they went to sleep in, they would wake up, alone, in another room. Sometimes it was another bedroom, sometimes it was one of the communal rooms. Sometimes the door would be unlocked and they could get out. Sometimes they were trapped there all day. Sleeping became a sure-fire way of waking up somewhere else. Some of the participants tried sleeping in groups with one person remaining awake on watch, but this never seemed to work and the participants became increasingly paranoid and sure that they were being drugged on a nightly basis. Some of the participants gave up on trying to avoid being moved, but others persevered, and tried to remain awake. Insomnia and sleep deprivation ran riot.

On May 16th at 6:03am the power went out, though there was no weather-induced reason for this and after investigating, it was discovered that Enrique Santo was electrocuted by a stereo, toaster, and several other electrical items thrown into his full bathtub. There was a large, obvious blow to the head that no one recalled seeing earlier. Paranoia is by this time starting to run high and the accusations were flying. The talk of one of the participants being a murderer became louder and louder, though there was no evidence to point to any one person.

Within days, Jessica Darwin began to mutter about how they were never going to get out of the experiment alive, about how they should just all give up now, that there was no point because it was some fucked up horror movie where they were going to be picked off one by one. She went into detail, ranting to anyone would would listen how the 'scientists' weren't scientists at all and they were just filming this and they were going to cut it and release it as some kind of snuff movie or something and they couldn't let them out now, not now that people were dying - they had to have seen what was going on and they were just letting it happen. This culminated in her having a massive panic attack in the living room on May 21st in full view of all of the other participants.

Jessica was found dead the next day. Although witnesses said that they saw her going to her room on the ground floor alone that night, she was found with stab wounds and a broken neck on the front steps the next morning - there was a broken window on the top floor directly above her body and it was assumed that she fell - though the more likely theory was that she was pushed. What, with that stab wound in her back and everything...


June started quietly enough and, in fact, since nothing bad had happened since the middle of May, people started to relax a little (even the house had stopped trying to injure them for the first time since January, it seemed) - until the morning of June 8th when Indira Sen pushed open the kitchen door and a bucket of acid which had been carefully placed atop the door fell down on her like some kind of twisted practical joke. Awoken by her screams, some of the remaining participants helped hose her down and she survived, but without proper medical treatment there was little they could do other than keep her alive and the rest was up to the body to heal itself the best it could.

The episode, as sudden and as startling as it was, set everyone back on edge again. Nobody knew if it was caused by the weird things that had been going wrong with the house, the idea that the house was 'out to get them', or by the murderer who more and more people were now arguing was loose in the house.

That argument was settled once and for all with the death of Leon Frye on June 22nd. Leon had always been a quiet, sort of weird guy. Everyone had had their thoughts about him, he'd kept himself to himself - there'd been mutterings about how it was 'the quiet ones you had to watch'. He had his odd little quirks - like the fact he was never seen without a bottle of water. He'd claimed that he was suffering from chronic dehydration. He complained about it non-stop. Obviously a little too much, in the end, for Leon was found in the evening of June 22nd out on the croquet lawn, hoops pinning down each limb. The garden hose was taped over his mouth - apparently someone wanted to see just how much water poor Leon could hold.

Shelley Barnes started trying to convince everyone that she was being watched a few days later, but nobody really took her seriously. Of course she was being watched - by the scientists. Everyone was. But she wouldn't stop going on about it, convinced that she was next. Eventually, she locked herself in her room. Nobody saw her after June 29th.


Until, that was, she was found just before dawn on the morning of July 4th tied to a tree just into the woods. Or what was left of her, anyway. She'd been stripped, tied to a tree and gagged, then given small cuts all over her body. Nobody was actually sure whether she'd been left alive, or how long she'd been out there, but it was clear from the way her remains were scattered that she'd been torn apart by the local wildlife. It was assumed she'd still been alive when it started, because why else would they have bothered to gag her?

It took them five days to find all of what was left of her, something which some of the participants insisted on. And she was buried, with the others, under the lawn at the back of the house.


The rest of July had been quiet - a few minor accidents, here and there (the house had returned to trying to cause them harm since Indira's accident, it seemed), some sprains, but nothing more serious than the odd broken finger or toe. But, once again, it was too good to last. In fact, someone had used the lull to cause a little bit of extra mischief. One of the closets upstairs had nails pounded into the walls on all sides, spikes out, there were ones on the floor as well. Poor Tony Anderson had his eyes gouged out, his tongue cut out, and he was shoved in there to slowly feel around, and bleed to death--which he did. Nobody saw who pushed him, or really what happened. He was found by someone looking for fresh bedding in the afternoon on the August 20th.

The remaining participants were still reeling from this horrible murder when the body of Josie Kaback had been found on 28th August. She had been another one of life's complainers, a yoyo dieter who's every waking moment had appeared to some to be filled with an obsession about her weight. It seemed that someone had taken the same offence that had been taken to Leon Frye as she was found with a stab wound in her abdomen - the wound only made so that someone could set a vacuum to sucking out her insides. Thinner indeed.

The survivors reached their limit on August 31st as screams ripped through the house at 3am. That had everyone up and out of their beds as they tracked the noise to one of the bedrooms. Trying to open the door, however, proved difficult. Piano wire had been fixed to the door and to Jacques Ames' neck, and successfully getting it open resulted in his near decapitation. He was pretty much a really big pez dispenser after that.


Paranoia and the dwindling numbers (as well as being forced to participate in that last killing) led to a lynch mob mentality, and the few remaining members of the household did serious work to figure out who among them was murdering people. It eventually came to light that they picked out the most likely candidate, Henry Deighton, and in the spirit of a lynch mob--they killed him.

They had to deal for a few more days after the group participated murder, and then rescue arrived to take them away from the house, hospitalize those who needed it, and place them in a town for 'reintegration'. During the few days, it was remarkably quiet, the house even seeming to be less vindictive towards it's occupants.